How to Get a PCR Test (COVID-19 Test) in Arusha or Moshi -Kilimanjaro
Since the onset of COVID-19 and the immediate and dramatic subsequent loss in booking numbers suffered by tour operators as a consequence of travel restrictions imposed both by governments worldwide, and initially, the Tanzanian government itself, it has been surprising to that the Tanzanian government has not made more effort to make information available to prospective travelers explaining how to go about ensuring that they are able to comply with their own country’s travel requirements on returning from their Kilimanjaro climb or Tanzanian safari.
The following information is provided to reassure prospective climbers that there is a straightforward way to enjoy the incredible tourism and adventurous opportunities that Tanzania offers while ensuring that returning home afterward is stress-free.
Below please find the required information
• Passport number
• Booking date
• Name of hospital
• Full name as per the Passport
• Traveler Destination
• Mobile numbers
• Travel date
Where to get a PCR test in Arusha
List of Hospitals in Arusha
- Arusha Lutheran Medical Centre – Arusha
- Fame Medical Medical Centre – Karatu
- Mount Meru Regional Referral Hospital – Arusha
Where to get a PCR test in Moshi-Kilimanjaro
- Mawezi Meru Referral Hospital in Moshi Kilimanjaro
What does it cost?
115,000 Tanzanian shillings for residents
USD 50 for non-residents
The cost of the Antigen Rapid Test is $10 for all travelers entering the country the government removed the test at all border posts except at airports and the test is free of charge for licensed guides.
How long does it take to get the result?
72 hours. (There have been reports of results often being received within 48 hours, but since the certificate is a vital addition to travel documentation for some countries, we strongly recommend allowing 72 hours).
Why does it take so long to get a result?
Once clients are tested, the sample is sent, usually the following day, by road to a laboratory in Dar es Salaam – a journey of 620km that takes more than 10 hours.
Within what times can I get tested?
Any time between 09:00 and 15:30, 7 days of the week.
How to book my Covid-19 PCR Test appointment
It’s mandatory to book an appointment for COVID-19 through https://pimacovid.moh.go.tz/ once the booking is done you will receive a confirmation message.
What proof of my result will I be given?
Once your tests are obtained by the laboratory in Dar es Salaam, they’ll be communicated directly to Mount Meru Hospital who will then print you off a test result certificate. We will collect this certificate for you and deliver it to you at your hotel immediately prior to your departure. If you have any concerns while waiting for your result or want to follow up on its progress, just contact us on WhatsApp at +255 620 809 393
What should I do while waiting for the result?
Of course, the notion of finishing your Kilimanjaro climb and then having to wait around for 3 days in Arusha is an extremely undesirable and unacceptable waste of time. Our recommendation, therefore, is for us to transfer you to Mount Meru hospital immediately after your climb so that you can get tested on the same day. This ought then to mean that the following morning your test will already be making its way to Dar, while you are free to maximize the next three days as fruitfully as possible.
Depending on tour interests and available budgeting, climbers may either consider a 3 days safari, or a succession of day trips within or near Arusha.
Those 3 Days Tanzania Lodge Safari to Tarangire, Ngorongoro, and Lake Manyara and 3 Days Tanzania Safari to Serengeti and Ngorongoro Short and Sweet are popular ways to spend 3 days. And here are some ideas for some day trips from Arusha and Moshi.
Rapid Test Procedures (updated August 23, 2021)
- If you are departing on an airline that requires or accepts a Rapid Test prior to boarding you need to arrive at your international airport of departure at least 4 hours prior to departure.
- All international airports (JRO, DAR, and ZNZ) have Rapid Test capacity.
- Pre-registration is not required
- Payment of $10 can be made in cash by depositing into the on-site bank.
- Results are provided within 15 to 20 minutes of taking the test.
- UPDATE: A negative COVID-19 test is not required for transiting passengers in Amsterdam (AMS) who do not leave the airport and whose connection time is within 1 day. However, it is strongly encouraged to use the Delta Discover Map to verify the entry requirements of your final destination, as your final destination may require you to have a negative COVID-19 test.